Ishik University, Department of Pharmacognosy is one of the most fundamental departments in Pharmacy Faculty. The vision of the Department of Pharmacognosy is to prepare a study program that is in line with the most recent developments in the field and produce graduates who could meet the national and international needs in health care. Those enrolled under Bachelor of Pharmacy programs will study the following topics under Department of Pharmacognosy:
* Natural product chemistry deals with the study of natural products, their extraction and isolation methods, structure elucidation
* Pharmacology of natural product relates to the biological activity of crude drugs, isolated compounds, and their toxicities
* Ethano-medicine is the subject that deals with the traditional medicine practices by different ethnic groups and indigenous people. It relates to traditional medicine, ethnobotany, ethnopharmacology, anthropology.
* Biosynthesis describes the various mechanisms through which plants prepare their primary and secondary metabolites, chemotaxonomy and how these pathways can be used to develop synthetic and semi-synthetic analogs of natural products.
* Quality Control under this subject physical, chemical, and biological methods of analysis are studied to ensure the quality of crude drugs, plant extracts, nutraceuticals, and pharmaceuticals.
* Standardization methods are developed to produce standardized extracts of plants and other natural resources.