FAQs for Ishik Website?
- What is the ranking of Ishik University?
In the National University Ranking (NUR) of Kurdistan Region in Iraq, 2016, Ishik University was ranked in Group B by taking the 3rd place among private universities of Kurdistan.
And in the Ranking Web of Universities, 2017, Ishik University is ranked 19 among Iraq universities, and 9288 among world universities. http://www.webometrics.info/en/Asia/Iraq
- Is Ishik an accredited university?
Ishik is licensed and accredited by Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research in Kurdistan Region of Iraq, 2008, and Baghdad, 2017.
- What is unique about Ishik University?
Ishik University is unique for its high level of education standards and quality. Ishik University endeavors to practice world class standards and principles. In May 2015, the University was certified with ISO 9001:2008 Quality Management Systems Certificate by British Certifications Inc from UK. In addition, Ishik makes sure to get all its programs accredited by international accrediting agencies. For example, in March 2017, Civil Engineering bachelor’s program was accredited by the Central Evaluation and Accreditations Agency Hannover (ZEvA). The law program is now in the same process in coordination with the Association of Arab Universities.
The academic year at Ishik University is, on national and international basis, full of a wide range of scientific, academic and social activities where students and staff are actively involved.
- What degrees and programs are offered at Ishik?
Ishik University provides the following degrees and programs:
Undergraduate degrees https://www.ishik.edu.iq/departments/
- Civil Engineering (MSc)
- Mechanical and Energy Engineering (MSc)
- Computer Engineering (MSc)
- Does Ishik offer summer school courses?
Yes, it does. The summer term education is carried out in accordance with the Ishik University Regulations for Summer Terms. In summer Term a student can take a maximum three (3) courses on condition that not exceeding twelve (12) credits. Law Faculty Summer Term regulations are announced specifically.
- I’m interested in studying at Ishik. How do I enroll?
- Students are accepted to the faculties according to the results of the general examinations held by the Ministry of Education for sixth grades and the results of the examinations held by Ishik University, however; students shall not keep their enrolments at any other institutions / universities, if any.
- Final registration dates, required documents and guidelines are determined and announced by the university. Upon fulfilment of the registration procedures, the candidate becomes a student of Ishik University and is entitled to all students’ rights.
- Candidates with justifiable excuses may also have their final registration completed by an acquaintance or a relative on condition that the above mentioned provisions are obeyed. Students submitting unlawful, false or deficient documents shall be dismissed from the University regardless in which semester they are enrolled in.
- Please visit the link below for online registration:
- Are there any prerequisites to start the undergraduate program?
Students, whose English level is not sufficient, have to take The Preparatory School Program. If the student can pass the proficiency exam at the beginning of each academic year, s/he may start the program that s/he is enrolled in.
- What is the Preparatory School Program?
The Preparatory School Program is the English Language Preparatory School of Ishik University which provides English language education for the students enrolled in the University. The aim of the Preparatory School is to advance the English knowledge and skills of students newly admitted to undergraduate and graduate programs to a level at which they will be able to understand what they read and hear, to express themselves both written and orally, and to follow the classes offered at the University. For further information please visit https://www.ishik.edu.iq/prepschool/
- Does Ishik University provide dormitory on campus?
Yes, Ishik has two dormitories; one for males and another for females. They are both very close to the campus, within 5-15 min walk.
- What is the English language qualification required to start the courses?
To be eligible to enroll into the desired faculties of Ishik University by means of Preparatory School it requires the successful completion of B2 Intermediate Level. Alternatively, students enrolled at Ishik University may take a proficiency exam. In this exam, students’ reading, writing, listening and speaking skills are evaluated. It is required to get at least 65 out of 100 points in order to be accepted as successful in this exam and start university education in the enrolled program. The students who get less than 65 are accepted as unsuccessful and sent to the adequate level and class according to the placement exam results. In addition, Students who successfully completed a preparatory program of another university are required to take our university proficiency exam.
Then again, students providing evidence that they have previously scored a minimum of 68 in TOEFL IBT, 5.5 in academic IELTS, or an equivalent score in other international exams, are exempt from the proficiency exam and start studying in the programs they are enrolled into. These exams are valid for three years.
- What activities are available at Ishik University?
At Ishik University a wide range of activities are organized to enhance students’ learning, skills, capacities, motivation, knowledge, self-confidence and self-esteem. To get a clue of the range of activities provided at Ishik, please visit the office of dean of students’ affairs through https://www.ishik.edu.iq/deanofstudents/
- What are the tuition fees for studying at Ishik?
Undergraduate students are charged a certain amount of tuition fee as determined by the Board of Trustees and approved by Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research. Also please visit https://www.ishik.edu.iq/%EF%BB%BFtuition-fees/ for more details.
- How to contact the University?
Please visit this page https://www.ishik.edu.iq/contact/
- Does Ishik have another campus?
Yes, there is Ishik branch campus in Sulaimani. Please visit http://www.sul.ishik.edu.iq/
- What is the PIS system?
Ishik University utilizes a Student Information System (SIS) which manages out student data, including student records, courses and grades etc. Students and staff have their own dedicated web sites. Click the links below to launch each site:
- What are the key dates at Ishik University?
Please visit the academic calendar at https://www.ishik.edu.iq/academic-calendar/
- Does Ishik offer a master program?
Yes, it does. For 2017-2018 three master programs are available in areas of Computer Engineering, Civil Engineering and Mechanical and Energy Engineering. Please visit https://www.ishik.edu.iq/mp/ for details and timelines.
- What is the credit and grading system at Ishik?
- In order to be accepted as successful in Preparatory Class, students’ general average of exams and assessments applied at the end of the relevant term have to be at least 60 out of 100.
- Grade is calculated as stated below: 35% from achievement exams, 25% from quizzes, 20% from portfolios (presentation, book review, film review, newspaper preparation, role play, debate, etc.). 20% from teachers’ evaluations (pop quizzes, students’ performance, homework, etc.).
- The passing grade consists of 60% of the general average of the relevant term and 40% of final exam. Students who cannot accomplish this grade will retake the same level.
- How long does it take to graduate?
In order to graduate a student at Ishik University has to meet all the requirements of graduation through fulfillment of all the loads and credits required per courses. The maximum period of study granted to students enrolled at the undergraduate programs of the University is seven years for four-year programs, eight years for five-year programs, and nine years for six-year programs.
- Does Ishik provide any scholarships?
1. Issues regarding scholarships to be granted to students are determined by the University Council. For a scholarship student enrolled at faculty/ vocational school to continue receiving bursary for the following year:
- Having no disciplinary records.
- Study period should be completed within maximum 4 years not including preparatory class.
- Fulfilling the requirements of attendance in Article 17 of these Regulations.
2. Performance in contrary manner shall result in the abolition of the said status at the end of the relevant academic year.