ISHIK UNIVERSITY is a private university which was founded in 2008 in Erbil, Iraq by the private Fezalar Educational Institutions.
The university started educational service with 5 faculties containing 9 departments on the first campus located on the 60 Meter Avenue. The faculties and the departments are as follows: Engineering Faculty (Computer Engineering and Civil Engineering), Dentistry Faculty (Dentistry Department), Administrative Sciences and Economics (Economy Department and Business and Management Department), Education Faculty (English Language Teaching Department, Mathematics Teaching Department and Computer Teaching), and Science Faculty (Information Technologies Department).
In 2008-2009 Academic Year,
- The education started on the ground floor of the Private Ishik High School, temporarily.
- The first Bachelor’s Program started with the 32 students the English Language Teaching Department of Education Faculty.
- 131 Prep students from the following 4 programs started studying English language: Computer Engineering, Dentistry Department, Business and Management Department, and Information Technologies Departments.
- The Continuing Education Center was established.
- The first national competition dedicated to the high school students was organized under the name of “Iraq National Projects Olympiads (INPO)” in collaboration with the Private Ishik High School.
In 2009-2010 Academic Year,
- The campus was enlarged by the conversion of an unused workshop of an industrial school and some parts of the Ishik High School.
- This designated area served as the old campus of the university for about 3 years.
- After the enlargement of the campus, the students were accepted to 6 Bachelor’s Degree Programs (Computer Engineering and Civil Engineering, Dentistry Department, Business and Management Department, English Language Teaching Department, and Information Technologies Department.)
- Computer Education and Economy Departments were closed.
- The first international conference named as “1st Visible International Teaching Language Conference (VCELT)” was organized by the Faculty of Education. Following 2014-2015 Academic Year, this conference was named as the serial of the VESAL (abbreviated for “International Visible Conference on Educational Studies and Applied Linguistics”).
- The university also started to give service of TOEFL as one of the official centers in the region.
- Ishik University became a member of the International Universities Association.
- New campus construction started with two buildings.
In 2010-2011 Academic Year,
- The Law Faculty was established and started education with 93 students in Arabic language (only for this department).
- The construction of two buildings on the new campus were completed: Main Building and the Dentistry Faculty Building.
- During the first semester, all the faculties covering 7 Bachelor’s Programs, except for Prep School, were moved to the new campus on 100 Meter Avenue.
- In the Spring Semester, Prep School was also transferred to the new campus.
- The first MoUs were signed with several universities from different countries.
- The first test competition dedicated the high school students was implemented under the name of “Ishik Test Competition Organization (ITCO)”.
In 2012-2013 Academic Year,
- The quality journey of the university started and as the first step, the curriculum of the programs was adapted to the Bologna Process.
- International Relations Office was set.
In 2013-2014 Academic Year,
- The application for ISO 9001:2008 Quality Management Systems Certificate was performed as the second step of the quality journey.
- The number of the programs was increased to 10 by the addition of the new departments which are Architectural Engineering Department, Banking and Finance Department.
- The Mathematics Education Department accepted its first students.
- The Student Exchange Program was established and the first exchange was performed by 16 students from 7 departments: Computer and Civil Engineering, Architecture, Business and Management, International Relations and Diplomacy, Information Technologies and English Language Teaching.
- The first international conference named as “1st Ecology, Environment and Energy Conference (ICEEE)” was organized by the Faculty of Education. Following 2015-2016 Academic Year, this conference was named as the serial of the ICEEAS (abbreviated for “International Conference on the Energy, Environment and Applied Sciences”).
- The second national competition on the engineering dedicated to the high school students was organized under the name of “Innovation Contest in Engineering (ICE)”. Following 2015, it was transformed into “National Innovation Contest in Engineering (NICE)”.
- The third national scientific competition dedicated to the high school students was organized under the name of “Future Inventors’ Project Olympiads (FPO)” in collaboration with the private schools and the Ministry of Education.
- The university became the member of the Global Engineering Deans Council (GEDC) that is located in the USA.
In 2014-2015 Academic Year,
- The second branch of the university was established in Sulaimani city with 5 departments under two faculties: Faculty of Engineering (Civil and Architectural Engineering Departments), Faculty of Administrative Sciences and Economics (Business and Management, Banking and Finance, and International Relations and Diplomacy Departments).
- Ishik University was separated into two campuses as Erbil and Sulaimani Campuses.
- The education on the Sulaimani Campus started with Prep classes of 3 programs: Business and Management, Civil Engineering, Architecture Departments.
- The Staff Exchange Program was established and the first exchange was performed.
- The first international conference named as “1st International Engineering Conference on Developments in Civil & Computer Engineering Applications (IEC)” was organized by the Faculty of Engineering.
- A new building dedicated to the education faculty was built.
- IJSSES (International Journal of Social Sciences & Educational Studies) was established.
- The first issue of IJSSES was published in September 2014.
- The number of the programs was increased to 15 with the opening of the Departments of Interior Design, Accounting, International Relations and Diplomacy, the Physics Education, and the Biology Education.
- The Ishik Research Center was established.
- The Engineering Consultation Bureau was established.
- The number of the MoU universities increased up to 46 universities from different parts of the world.
- The university signed Double Diploma Agreement with California University and North American University.
- The third step of the quality journey was accomplished:
In May 2015, the university was certified with ISO 9001:2008 Quality Management Systems Certificate by British Certifications Inc. from the UK.
In 2015-2016 Academic Year, as the third step of the quality journey,
- The university has signed a contract with the German based accreditation agency ZEvA (Central Evaluation and Accreditation Agency).
- EAJSE (Eurasian Journal of Science and Engineering) was established under the Engineering Faculty.
- The first issue of EAJSE was published in December 2015.
- EJGD (European Journal of General Dentistry) was published under Ishik University’s name.
- Anfal and Halabja Department was opened in the Ishik Library.
Current Academic Year of 2016-2017,
- The accreditation is in process.