Graduation Research Papers
To align with the best practices of academic institutions and in accordance with the requirement of the Ishik University, fourth year ELT students need to undertake a research project either alone or in pairs. The project comprises two main stages: producing an original, academic text on a specific text of ELT concern, and attending a viva to defend it. This document provides necessary guidelines, requirements, and procedures to assist students and supervisors to plan ahead and coordinate to conduct the projects successfully, and to be well-informed about the expectations.
Graduation Research Project: The first, and major component of the graduation project is a scholarly paper of considerable length and detail on a specific topic of ELT interest. The paper needs to show the student’s ability to write in academic English, and prove his/her critical thinking, analyzing and synthesizing of scholarly sources and data, and deep understanding of the topic under study.
Graduation Viva: Upon submission of their research papers, students need to attend a defense session, or viva, to discuss their paper face to face and in the presence of at least two examiners. Student supervisors may or may not attend the viva. The viva starts with a presentation followed by questions on the details of the texts.
The graduation project is aimed at strengthening students’ academic skills in general; and more specifically:
- Encouraging students to be familiar with the practice of scholarly research as it is conducted in academic;
- Promoting research skills such as developing a research paper topic, narrowing a paper’s focus, locating credible resources on an academic research area, summarizing ideas, paraphrasing and quoting, and drawing conclusions from the scientific evidence;
- Presenting own work and findings minding academic standards;
Gaining necessary research skills to encounter weaknesses in own teaching practices in the future.
- Each research project need to be done only by two students, more than two is not allowed.
- Those students who want change the title, supervisor or the partner, need to inform the department.
- All of the projects need to be submitted to the supervisors on 15th May,2017.